The SUNY Board of Trustees met in Albany morning for its Charter schools meeting and voted on revisions and renewals for multiple Charter schools across the State.
The Board voted to approve a merger of Capital Preparatory Harlem Charter School into Capital Preparatory Bronx Charter School. This merger was also previously authorized by the Board of Regents at the June 4, 2019 committee meeting.
The Board voted to approve seven NYS Stimulus Fund Grants (totaling $1.38 million) to be distributed to the following four SUNY-authorized and three BOR-authorized upstate NY schools:
- Albany Leadership Charter High School for Girls (Authorized by SUNY) – $200,000
- Buffalo Collegiate Charter School (Authorized by SUNY) – $200,000
- School for Educational Excellence (Authorized by Board of Regents) – $200,000
- Finn Academy: An Elmira Charter School (Authorized by SUNY) – $176,270
- OnTECH Charter High School (Authorized by Board of Regents) – $200,000
- University Preparatory Charter School For Young Men (Authorized by SUNY) – $200,000
- Utica Academy of Science Charter School (Authorized by Board of Regents) – $200,000
The Board voted to approve requests for two additional planning years for Achievement First and Success Academy schools.
The proposed charter revision for Success Academy Charter Schools – NYC was adjourned to the Board’s fall committee meeting.
The Board also announced updates about their SUNY-authorized schools, including news about two schools being named Blue Ribbon Schools: Success Academy Charter School – Bed-Stuy 1 (Brooklyn) and Success Academy Charter School – Harlem 2 (Manhattan).
The Board members received summaries from public hearings concerning co-location in the following schools: Achievement First Linden Charter School, DREAM Charter School Mott Haven, and University Prep Charter Middle School.